Preparing For Death and Christian Burial
CLICK HERE for the Saint Michael Funeral Guide.
Over Lent, beginning March 13, the Pastoral Care group sponsored a five-week Sunday Series entitled “Tying Up Loose Ends,” which reminds us of all the last stage decisions of life. The class was led by Patty Willett and Jim Webb, with guest speakers Wendy Fenn (hospice) and John Phillips (estate planning).
Click here for an outline of the entire five-week course
1. Children with Parents
2. Spouse/partner with the affected one, or other combination
3. Family member with family member
1. Medical Costs, Caregiving, and family stress
a. Statistics -- amount spent near end of life seminal research
b. Medical model goals vs. hospice goals
c. Hard Choices For Loving People, by Hank Dunn, a hospice chaplain, about the choices one faces as the end of life approaches
2. Who to consult
a. Medical doctor
c. Family - importance of getting on the "same page"
d. Funeral Home - make decision early, before the crisis is upon you
a. See www.FaithPresbyterianHospice.org for information about an excellent local, faith-based, not-for-profit hospice
b. www.NHPCO.org for national information about hospice in general
1. Wills, DNR's, power of attorneys, Advance Directives, long term care- possibly fill out in class
Using "A Guide for Christian Burial"
1. Planning the funeral (traditional burial, cremation, etc.)
2. Planning the funeral/memorial service - Part 1
April 10- "Funerals"- Patty Willett and Jim Webb
1. Planning the funeral/memorial service - Part 2 (if needed) - Willett
2. Where is everything and who is in charge - Webb
3. Click here for Saint Michael's funeral guide