In the March edition of the Archangel, we launched a new monthly column called the Warden’s Corner, in which Senior Warden Eric Conner will communicate updates on Vestry initiatives and Parish activities.
As we head into the closing months of 2017, I wanted to update the parish on the fabulous work to date on our organizational initiatives and respective road maps. For those who were at the Parish Meeting, the Rector outlined some “early wins” resulting from the efforts to date including:
- Technology Initiative – Development of an online member portal which allows for profile updates and access to giving history.
- Remarkables Initiative – Initial development of the storyline for what makes Saint Michael unique and remarkable so that members can deliver a consistent evangelical message to welcome the disconnected or disengaged.
- Formation Initiative – Addition of children’s chapel as a new Formation experience and identification of direct staffing needs (which are rolled into the Stewardship efforts).
- Music Initiative – Establishment of new choir norms, introduction of children involvement in the Sunday services and coordination of an SMU Compline service on Sunday nights.
- Campus Planning Initiative – Set the initial vision and plan in concert with the desires of the parish (based on the survey) and the needs of the greater community.
- Member Integration Initiative– Set up the Welcome Center, expanded the greeter program and developed a framework for how our church can effectively welcome and integrate visitors.
- High Performance Staff Initiative – Streamlined organizational chart, created an HR committee and established better systems for performance evaluation and development.
These are just tidbits of the larger body of work. I am enormously grateful to the Vestry, Staff and Clergy for their efforts. Please take time to read more at saintmichael.org/imperatives.
Separately, the Stewardship efforts (thanks to Caroline Marak and her team) are off to a great start. Our target is a 10% increase in overall giving, so that we may directly support current operations while expanding our efforts in Youth, Music, and Membership. Many parishioners have commented how much they appreciate the specific metrics and guidance provided in the pledge letter and overall campaign.
Finally, I want to congratulate our new Vestry members and Diocesan Convention delegates and alternates. I am humbled and enthusiastic about the energy, talents and passion of the collective group. SMAA is privileged to have such willing and capable members!
As always, we are very interested in your feedback, so please feel free to engage with members of the Staff, Clergy, or Vestry. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific comments or questions.
Eric Conner, Senior Warden