THE FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT
FEBRUARY 14, 2016
Saint Michael Presents The Boston Brass Sunday, February 21 at 7:00 p.m.
The Boston Brass has enthralled audiences around the world with performances ranging from exciting classical arrangements, to burning jazz standards, and everything in-between, including a lot of humor and fun.
Tickets are free, but necessary to ensure adequate seating. Get yours online here.
Lectionary Theme: The Temptation of Jesus
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing at all during those days, and when they were over, he was famished. The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become a loaf of bread.” Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘One does not live by bread alone.’”...When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time. —Luke 4:1-4,13 (excerpt from Gospel)
- 150, “Forty days and forty nights” —Sequence Hymn
- 559, “Lead us, heavenly Father, lead us” —Presentation Hymn
- 325, “Let us break bread together on our knees” —Communion Hymn (9:00 a.m.)
- 490, “I want to walk as a child of the light” —Communion Hymn (9:00 a.m.)
- 321, “My God, thy table now is spread” —Communion Hymn (11:00 a.m.)
- 448, “O love, how deep, how broad, how high” —Communion Hymn (11:00 a.m.)
- 653, “Dear Lord and Father of mankind” —Communion Hymn
- 142, “Lord, who throughout these forty days” —Postcommunion Hymn
The Offertory (9:00 and 11:00 a.m.)
Like as the hart Herbert Howells (1892-1983)
Like as the hart desireth the waterbrooks, so longeth my soul after thee, O God. My soul is athirst for God, yea, even for the living God. When shall I come to appear before the presence of God? My tears have been my meat day and night while they daily say unto me, Where is now thy God? —Psalm 42:1-3
Prelude: “O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß” Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Postlude: “Herzliebster Jesu” Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
Read about James Diaz here.