Finding Online Connection During Social Distancing
And, of course, you can always reach out to Saint Michael for connection or prayers. Submit your online prayer requests here.
The native Apple app, available on all iPhones, iPads, and Mac laptops/desktops, lets you video or audio call individuals or groups.
Using FaceTime on your iPhone or iPad
1. Open the FaceTime app.
2. Click the + button.
3. Type the name, email address, or phone number of the person you want to call.
4. Type more names, email addresses, or phone numbers if you want to start a group call.
5. Tap audio or video to start the call.
Using FaceTime on your Mac
1. Open the FaceTime app from your dock ro applications folder.
2. Type the name, email address, or phone number of the person you want to call.
3. Type more names, email addresses, or phone numbers if you want to start a group call.
4. Tap audio or video to start the call.
Switching from a phone call to FaceTime
1. Look at the call menu that appears when you're in the middle of a phone call.
2. Tap the FaceTime icon to start a FaceTime video call.
Tips and Tricks
- Siri can place a FaceTime call for you! Ask Siri to FaceTime [contact's name].
- Have an Apple TV? Mirror your phone screen by tapping the Screen Mirroring button in the utility menu and selecting your Apple TV. The person on the other end of your FaceTime call will appear on your TV!
WhatsApp is completely secure and encrypted end-to-end, and is the leading choice for nearly half the globe! Use this app on any iPhone or Android device--or even a computer--to voice call, video call, text, leave video messages etc., to anyone in the world, anytime. All you need is a free account!
Setting Up WhatsApp on your Phone or Tablet
1. Download WhatsApp from your phone or tablet's app store.
2. Open the WhatsApp application.
3. Enter your phone number.
4. You will receive a confirmation text from WhatsApp. Click the link to set up your account username and password.
5. WhatsApp will automatically connect you with your contacts who are using the service by checking their phone numbers.
Starting a Conversation
1. Ensure you're in the appropriate tab to make a video/voice call or to start a chat.
2. Click the button near the top right corner to start a new conversation.
3. Find the contact you're trying to connect with, and press call or begin typing your message!
Using the WhatsApp Web App from your Computer
1. You cannot use the web app before you have the mobile app set up. See above for how to get started with WhatsApp on your phone.
2. In your computer's web browser, visit this link.
3. Scan the QR code that appears on your computer screen using your phone's camera.
4. The WhatsApp web app will sync with your phone app to allow you to access conversations, groups, etc.
Tips and Tricks
- Chat supports lots of multimedia including voice messages, images, video, and even location sharing.
- Select up to 100 people to send a group message and create a chatroom between those individuals.
- WhatsApp is a great way to keep up with international friends too! As long as you and your contact are using wifi or a data connection, there's no long distance to worry about.
Video calls for up to 12 people on your smartphone, tablet, or computer using your Google account (i.e. Gmail address). If you don't have one, it's free to set up. Google Duo works on Apple devices too.
Setting up Google Duo on your Phone or Tablet
1. Download Google Duo from your phone or tablet's app store.
2. Open the Google Duo app.
3. Enter your phone number.
4. Verify your phone number by typing in the code you receive via text.
5. Sign in with your Google account. If you don't have one, you can create it here.
Setting up Google Duo on your Computer
1. Sign into your Google account. If you don't have one, set up a new one for free (see the link in step 5 above).
2. Go to duo.google.com.
3. Verify your phone number (optional) by following steps 3 and 4 above.
Making Calls to an Individual
1. Select a contact and tap Video Call, Voice Call or Message. Video Call is the default option.
2. When making a Video Call, the Knock-Knock feature shows the call recipient a live preview of your camera as the other person's phone rings.
3. If the other person doesn't pick up, you can leave a message.
Making Calls to a Group
1. Tap Create Group above your list of contacts.
2. Select up to 11 people.
3. Name your group so it will be saved for you to easily access later.
4. Press Start to initiate a call.
Messaging, phone calls, and video chat using your Google account.
Free video and audio calls, chat, and screen sharing that works across all common devices. You can even use your Xbox! Set up your free account and add your contacts to get started.
Video chat with up to 100 people for free. Just set up an account and send a link to your loved ones. Free accounts are limited to 40 minutes per call, but you can make an unlimited number of calls.
Like video chat but can't seem to get on the same schedule as your friends? Marco Polo lets you leave video messages for individuals or groups. Download their app on your favorite device and sign up for a free account to get started.
Just for Fun
Facebook Watch Parties
You can start a watch party for any publicly-available video on Facebook, live or recorded. Start a watch party and invite your friends to enjoy videos and conversation together. You can create a queue of videos to keep the party going.
Watch Netflix videos while using this Google Chrome plugin and you'll feel like you're in the same room as your loved ones. Everyone who joins a Netflix Party watches the same movie in sync, and there's a chat function for side conversations.
Quizzes and games are simple to set up and play from anywhere. Create a free account to access over 40 million fun games and quizzes, and then use one of the video conferencing tools above to gather your friends or family for a game night!
Tags: Blog & Newsroom