MISSION & OUTREACH VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
By the Rev. Robin Hinkle
After much anticipation, I am delighted to finally be working with you as your new Associate for Mission and Outreach. These first couple of months have been a whirlwind of introductions, both with you here at Saint Michael and with our partners in ministry in the Dallas community and beyond. I have especially enjoyed getting to know our longtime ministry partners. I have visited many of their sites, and have had wonderful conversations about their Covid experiences, their re-opening and their dreams for the future. All our partners had to adjust during the Covid shutdown, which they used as an opportunity to revitalize and rethink the programs they provide. The timing of my arrival, therefore, seems to be fortuitous as they are ready to move forward in new ways, just as we here at the church are ready to do so as well.
I see my position as work in two broad areas: 1. Creating expanded volunteer opportunities for impactful outreach for all ages to deepen our faith as disciples of our Lord; and 2. Working in collaboration with community partners to address, through major initiatives, some of the issues that impact many of our neighbors including poverty, addiction, mental health and education.
This work has already begun. You will find in this issue, many old and new ways to volunteer, with more to come. Please let me, your Mission and Outreach Committee, or Christi Morrow know of your ideas for outreach ministry—we are actively expanding our network. And sign-up today to share your unique gifts with our neighbors in need!
The Rev. Robin Hinkle
Associate for Mission & Outreach
For more information on how to get involved, contact one of the staff members below.
THE REV. ROBIN HINKLE
Associate for Mission & Outreach
Mission & Outreach Coordinator
**This article was written by the Rev. Robin Hinkle and was featured in the 2022 Fall Archangel.
Aunt Bette's Community Pantry at St. Philip's School and Community Center
- Pantry Volunteer: Stocking or distributing groceries to families
Austin Street Center
- Cooking Team: Prepare dinner to be served to homeless
- Serving Team: Serve dinner to the homeless at the center
Bachman Lake Together
- Community Workdays: Day of Service–Repairs and Clean-up
- Back-to-School Bash: Help host activities for children as the families sign up for Pre-K.
- Neighborhood Canvassing: Connecting with families to encourage preschool registration.
Gateway of Grace
- ESL Classroom Teaching Assistant: Work with refugee adults and children
- Conversational English Tutor: Work with refugee adults
Jubilee Park & Community Center
- Senior Meals: Provide warm conversations and food for Jubilee seniors
- Senior Bingo: Volunteer at Jubilee Bingo
- Senior Crafts: Help our seniors tap into their creative side during Jubilee’s senior arts-and-crafts program.
- Community Garden: Plant a seed of change at Jubilee! Help our Jubilee gardener grow produce for our families
- Classroom Tutor: Provide mentorship and academic support for our Jubilee students!
- Youth Sports Coach: Make lasting bonds with our Jubilee kids and promote health and teamwork at our Jubilee Sports Club!
- Food Pantry: Staff our new Jubilee Pantry!
- STEM and Art Kits: Help fuel Jubilee programs from afar by making STEM and craft kits! This volunteer opportunity can occur at home.
- Snack bags: Provide snack bags for our Jubilee campers! Volunteers will provide and pack snack bags to be used during after school or summer programming
North Dallas Shared Ministries
Interfaith community partnership providing emergency assistance to families in North and West Dallas including, food, clothing, medical and dental services, and housing assistance.
- Clothes Closet: Organize and distribute clothes
- Food Distribution: Pack grocery bags and distribute to clients
- ESL Teachers: Assist/tutor ESL adults
- Client Intake: Meet with prospective clients
- Client Interviews: Assemble information and assist with referrals to resources
- Meal Drop-off: Provide monthly meals to survivors at New Friends New Life
- Advocates: Human Trafficking Awareness Month projects and activities
- Education: Providing and hosting education and advocacy events
Saint Michael Positions
- Community Collaborator: Liaison between SMAA and a ministry partner
- Mission & Outreach Committee: Leadership Team to plan and coordinate SMAA M&O Ministry
- Collection Drive: Leader or team position
- Young Adult Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Young Adult projects
- Youth Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Youth projects
- Family and Children Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Children's projects
VNA Meals on Wheels
- Meal Delivery: Drivers deliver 10-15 meals to homebound seniors
- Special Treats: Assist with Christmas bags and other treats to distribute to seniors on the routes
- Tela Honduras Mission Trip: Mission Team Member for dental, vision, light construction, and children's education programming. View Upcoming Honduras Missions
- Amistad Bolivia Mission Trip: Mission Team Member for children's and family ministry at Amistad orphanage and family center.View Upcoming Amistad Bolivia Missions