Now Hiring: Director of Early Childhood Music
Reports to: SMES Assistant Head of School and SMAA Director of Music and Organist
Work Hours: Full-time, including Sundays
This is a shared position between Saint Michael Episcopal School (SMES) and Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church (SMAA).
Major Responsibilities for SMES:
- Teach and expose music, including instrumental and vocal to all SMES students.
- Plan age-appropriate music activities to promote the love of learning music, including accompanying on piano or guitar.
- Evaluates students' interests, aptitudes, temperament, and individual characteristics to determine suitable instruments for use.
- Develop a music curriculum to support musical learning and movement.
- Work with school chaplain to create and implement curriculum for chapel services.
- Responsible for creating and directing two preschool performances per year (Christmas and End of Year).
- Supervise children in a safe and loving environment.
- Assist in performing and maintaining standards as required by Texas Health and Human Services (THHS), Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools and other governing bodies.
- Demonstrate flexibility in working with all staff as needed to maintain quality programming, including substituting in other classes and performing other tasks as requested.
- Support school events (ex. Parents’ Night, Auction, and Barnyard Bash).
Major Responsibilities for SMAA:
- Direct a preparatory choir for ages 4 through 2nd grade for SMAA (Cherub Choir), which meets on Wednesday afternoons and evenings during the program year, and sings occasionally on Sunday mornings.
- Oversee recruitment and plan repertoire and activities for the Cherub Choir. Assist with annual Christmas Pageant rehearsals and performance (Sunday afternoons mid-October to mid-December).
- Lead the music portion of the annual Vacation Bible School (one week, usually in June).
- Assist with annual summer Chorister Camp (two days, typically in August).
- Attend relevant regular meetings (e.g. weekly music staff meeting, monthly full staff meeting).
- Serve as liaison for young families between SMES and SMAA, including, but not limited to, discerning and implementing new ways to connect school and church families.
- Discern and implement new possible partnership(s) through early childhood music with church’s Mission & Outreach efforts.
- Assist with recruitment and administration of annual Royal School of Church Music in America (RSCM-A) Dallas Boys Summer Course.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent experience
- Early childhood music certification
- Must meet personal qualifications as outlined in the THHS Minimum Standards for Child Care Centers. A copy of the Minimum Standards is available in the staff workroom.
- Employee must meet personal qualifications as outlined in the Saint Michael Episcopal School and Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church Employee Handbooks
- Employee must embody SMAA Core Values: Collaborative, Loyal, Effective, Kind, and Growth-Oriented
- Employee must have basic computer skills and ability to communicate via email
- Employee must have access to the internet and/or text messaging to be able to communicate with SMES and SMAA staff, parents and caregivers outside of school hours
We are committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, religion, disability/handicap, or any other protected status in accordance with the requirements of all federal, state, and local laws unless a particular status protected by federal, state, or local laws contradict the deeply held religious convictions of the School or the church.
If you would like to apply, please submit a letter of interest and resume to Melisa Bray, Assistant to the Director of Operations, Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, 8011 Douglas Ave, Dallas, TX 75225, or [email protected] (reference “Director of Early Childhood Music” in the subject line). No phone calls, please.