Now Hiring: Director of Music
Department: Music (within Worship & Liturgy)
Reports to: Senior Associate for Worship & Discipleship
Work Hours: Full-Time
The Director of Music is responsible for the vision and development of the music ministry at Saint Michael and All Angels that supports the core focus of the congregation to “build Christian disciples for a transformed community.” The Director’s principal duties involve the oversight, guidance, and support in the implementation of music programs and offerings that contribute to the spiritual growth of the members of the congregation.
The Director will, working in collaboration with the Rector, Vice Rector, and other staff, oversee and coordinate the vision, implementation, and assessment of all Music department programs and offerings. The Director will have significant experience in leading successful music programs in resource-sized and/or corporate-sized congregations and will have a demonstrated history of successful staff supervision, collaboration with peers, and alignment of music ministries with broader organizational strategic priorities. The Director will be thoroughly familiar with the tradition of Anglican hymnody and music and will have requisite experience with choral conducting and keyboard skills.
Over the past several years, the music ministries of Saint Michael have experienced significant growth, and the Director will continue this trajectory of success. This includes (1) continued development of music ministries in furtherance of spiritual growth and discipleship, (2) on-going development of adult, Compline, Chorister, and Cherub choirs, (3) successful execution of weekly, monthly, and seasonal worship and music offerings, (4) further implementation of Royal School of Church Music training programs, (5) collaboration with the Contemporary Music ministry in ways that contribute to the development of both programs, (6) collaboration with Saint Michael Episcopal School music education programs, and (7) oversight of the Saint Michael Presents concert series.
The Director will have significant experience in the successful management of a collaborative team. The Music department staff currently includes an Associate for Music and Organist, an Assistant Choirmaster, a Director of Early Childhood Music, an Administrative Assistant, and an Organ Scholar. The Music program currently includes an adult choir of 40 members (including 16 staff singers), a professional Compline choir, and three choirs for youth and children (Choristers and Cherubs). In addition to multiple weekly services, Saint Michael offers a robust schedule of seasonal and occasional offerings (Lessons & Carols, Compline, Evensong, etc.).
Competitive compensation package includes salary ($100K to $115K, commensurate with experience), medical insurance, pension, professional allowance, continuing education allowance, and significant vacation and personal leave allowances. To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to Melisa Bray, Operations Manager, at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; applications should be submitted no later than Friday, December 22, 2023.
- Ensure alignment of Music department programs to congregational focus and priorities
- Provide visionary leadership that fosters continued growth of music ministries
- Identify and engage opportunities and challenges associated with the development of Music programs and the alignment of these offerings with Saint Michael’s core focus, values, and goals
- Supervise Music staff in a way that encourages collegiality, supports the vision and goals of the parish, and contributes to collaborative working relationships with staff and volunteers
- Supervise and support staff responsible for overseeing music education programs for children and youth and actively contribute to the growth of these programs
- Ensure excellent musical programming for weekly, monthly, seasonal, and pastoral services that contributes to the spiritual development and engagement of parishioners
- Ensure high-quality musical and choral performances at all liturgies and programs
- Oversee recruitment and rehearsal for contract musicians needed for services and programs
- Oversee development and implementation of national and international choir tours
- Oversee maintenance of all musical instruments and provide information as needed to parish leadership to enable collaborative planning in advance of any major expenditures
- Oversee the department’s finances and development of the annual operating budget
We Expect Our Director of Music Will:
- Be committed to Saint Michael’s core focus (building Christian disciples for a transformed community)
- Embody Saint Michael’s core values (collaborative, loyal, effective, kind, and growth-oriented)
- Become proficient in the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) used at Saint Michael and deploy this system in the strategic work of the Music department
- Be energetic and have a demonstrated passion for Anglican and Episcopal church music
- Be consistently available on weekends and weeknights for all services and rehearsals
- Assist choir members of all ages engage music as an avenue to spiritual growth
- Actively participate in professional music associations
- Actively pursue opportunities for professional development as a team leader, educator, and musician, and encourage and support the development of the Music staff
- Ability to effectively administer multiple responsibilities in a large music program
- Exceptional organizational and administrative skills, strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills when interacting with children, youth, and adults
- Experience as a church musician in the Anglican choral and liturgical tradition
- Significant experience in choral conducting and/or keyboard performance
- Youth/children’s choir (Royal School of Church Music) experience preferred
- Appropriate educational and professional credentials and/or certifications