Now Hiring: Music Teacher and Cherub Choir Director
Reports to: SMES Assistant Head of School and SMAA Director of Music and Organist
Work Hours: Part-time
SMES: Monday – Friday 8:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
SMAA: Wednesday 3:00 – 6:30 p.m.; Sunday - one morning service with warm up (approximately 5 Sundays per year); Vacation Bible School (one week in June); Chorister Camp (one day in August)
Major Responsibilities as Music Teacher for SMES:
- Teach and expose music, including instrumental and vocal to all SMES students.
- Plan age-appropriate music activities to promote the love of learning music.
- Evaluates students' interests, aptitudes, temperament, and individual characteristics to determine suitable instruments for use.
- Develop a music curriculum to support musical learning.
- Play piano or guitar to support weekly chapel as well as special event chapels.
- Work with school chaplain to create and implement curriculum for chapel services.
- Responsible for creating and directing two preschool performances per year (Christmas and End of Year).
- Supervise children in a safe and loving environment.
- Responsible for ordering, storing, and monitoring inventory of musical instruments, music, and supplies.
- Follow departmental procedures in the classroom, workroom and office areas.
- Assist in performing and maintaining standards as required by Texas Health and Human Services, Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools and other governing bodies.
- Maintain clean, safe classrooms and playing areas.
- Demonstrate flexibility in working with all staff as needed to maintain quality programming, including substituting in other classes and helping as necessary.
- Support school events (ex. Parents’ Night, Auction, and Barnyard Bash).
- Work with SMAA church staff to ensure harmonious relationships.
- Treat SMES families, parishioners, guests and other visitors with respect and helpful attitude.
- Perform other tasks as requested and work to be a part of a team.
Major Responsibilities as Music Teacher for SMAA:
- Direct a preparatory choir for ages 4 through 2nd grade for SMAA (Cherub Choir), which meets on Wednesday afternoons and evenings, and sings occasionally on Sunday mornings.
- Oversee recruitment and plan repertoire and activities for the Cherub Choir.
- Lead the music portion of the annual Vacation Bible School for SMAA.
- Meet and consult as needed with the Director of Music and Organist at SMAA.
- Job could also be expanded to include singing as a staff singer in the Saint Michael choirs, if the selected candidate has the skills for this. Whether or not this is added to the job will be contingent on a vocal audition for the Director of Music at SMAA.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent experience
- Must meet personal qualifications as outlined in the THHS Minimum Standards for Child Care Centers. A copy of the Minimum Standards is available in the staff workroom.
- Employee must meet personal qualifications as outlined in the Saint Michael Episcopal School and Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church Employee Handbooks
- Employee must have basic computer skills and ability to communicate via email
- Employee must have access to the internet and/or text messaging to be able to communicate with SMES and SMAA staff, parents and caregivers outside of school hours
We are committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, religion, disability/handicap, or any other protected status in accordance with the requirements of all federal, state, and local laws unless a particular status protected by federal, state, or local laws contradict the deeply held religious convictions of the School or the church.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, and three references to Melisa Bray [email protected] Review of applications will begin immediately.