Saint Michael Tornado Relief Report
Sunday, October 20, 2019 was a pivotal moment in the life of many, here in Dallas. Saint Michael engaged the widespread need by focusing on three specific opportunites of need:
North Dallas Shared Ministries
Judy Rorrie, Executive Director
- Provided uniforms and coats to 299 students displaced by tornadoes.
- Helped clients who had resided in the Southwind Apartments, which was destroyed, with relocation assistance, clothing, food, and utilities assistance.
- Helped clients who lost hourly jobs due to the tornado damage (for example a client who had worked at a Preston Royal restaurant requested additional assistance because her workplace was closed.)
Gateway of Grace
The Rev. Canon Dr. Samira Izadi Page
- Assisted current clients who lost their apartments near Forest and Greenville with relocation, including application fees, utility set ups, and furnishings.
- SMAA hosted a baby shower for one mother in September and her family’s apartment was destroyed. The baby was born on 11/17 and they have 2 more children, ages 8 and 9. Gateway has used SMAA funds to assist the family with furnishings and household items and they have relocated to another apartment within the same complex. Additionally, our parishioners paid the Fnu family a visit with Christmas gifts and school supplies for the children.
- Additionally, most of these families have experienced war trauma and the impact of the tornado can retraumatize them. Gateway of Grace is providing counseling support to those families as well
Dallas Independent School District Tornado Relief
- Donations of School supplies were donated to DISD schools impacted by the tornado.
- A donation of funds was given given to DISD Tornado Relief which is a fund managed by the Dallas Foundation.
Many gave to this effort. Thank you so much.
Tags: Blog & Newsroom