Mission & Outreach Volunteer Opportunities
MISSION & OUTREACH VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
After much anticipation, I am delighted to finally be with working with you as your new Associate for Mission and Outreach. I have enjoyed getting to know our long-time ministry partners and learning about their COVID experiences, their re-opening, and their dreams for the future. All our partners had to adjust during the COVID shutdown, which they used as an opportunity to revitalize and re-think the programs they provide.
This work has already begun. You will find many old and new ways to volunteer, with more to come. Please let me, your Mission and Outreach Committee, or Christi Morrow know of your ideas for outreach ministry—we are actively expanding our network. And sign-up today to share your unique gifts with our neighbors in need!
The Rev. Robin Hinkle
Associate for Mission & Outreach
Outreach Interest Form
*Fill out the Outreach Interest Form above and our Outreach team will be in touch to connect you with current and future outreach opportunities.
CURRENT OUTREACH PROJECTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Heart of Giving 2022Sunday, Nov 06, 2022
As a meaningful complement to Christmas gifts, Heart of Giving offers a thoughtful way to spread the spirit of the season by purchasing tax-deductible cards for family and friends. Each card describes how your gift provides tangible benefits for Mission and Outreach initiatives. Participate online or by visiting our tables in the church hallways on Sundays.
2022 Advent CalendarSunday, Nov 27, 2022, 12:00 AM
Grocery bags with the Advent calendar will be available at church entrances on November 27. Please participate in the 24-day advent journey and return food to the South entrance the first week of January. Parishioners will have the opportunity to learn about food insecurity, pray for the people impacted by hunger, and serve North Dallas Shared Ministries while counting down the days until Christmas.
View all reoccurring volunteer opportunities at each of the SMAA Outreach Partners by clicking on the plus sign (+) next Outreach Partner below.
Aunt Bette's Community Pantry at St. Philip's School and Community Center
- Pantry Volunteer: Stocking or distributing groceries to families
Austin Street Center
- Cooking Team: Prepare dinner to be served to homeless
- Serving Team: Serve dinner to the homeless at the center
- Welcome Center Assistant: Serve at the front welcome desk at the Austin Street Center
- Center for Community Engagement Intake Assistant
- Guest Services Assistant: Serve at Guest Services Desk within Austin Street Center
- Clothing Room Assistant: Organize clothing donations and assist with distribution
Bachman Lake Together
- Community Workdays: Day of Service–Repairs and Clean-up
- Parent Mixer and Panels: Share a meal and participate in parent mixer and panels/creating community connections
- Immigration Issues: Work with Bachman Lake adults on immigration issues
Brotherhood of St. Andrew
Gateway of Grace
- ESL Classroom Teaching Assistant: Work with refugee adults and children
- Conversational English Tutor: Work with refugee adults
Jubilee Park & Community Center
- Senior Meals: Provide warm conversations and food for Jubilee seniors
- Senior Bingo: Volunteer at Jubilee Bingo
- Senior Crafts: Help our seniors tap into their creative side during Jubilee’s senior arts-and-crafts program.
- Community Garden: Plant a seed of change at Jubilee! Help our Jubilee gardener grow produce for our families
- Classroom Tutor: Provide mentorship and academic support for our Jubilee students!
- Youth Sports Coach: Make lasting bonds with our Jubilee kids and promote health and teamwork at our Jubilee Sports Club!
- Senior Citizen Field Trips: Provide much-needed companionship for our senior citizens by chaperoning a Jubilee field trip.
- Food Pantry: Staff our new Jubilee Pantry!
- Hallway Decorating: Brighten up our hallways for our Jubilee students by decorating hallways and doors.
- STEM and Art Kits: Help fuel Jubilee programs from afar by making STEM and craft kits! This volunteer opportunity can occur at home.
- Snack bags: Provide snack bags for our Jubilee campers! Volunteers will provide and pack snack bags to be used during after school or summer programming
North Dallas Shared Ministries
Interfaith community partnership providing emergency assistance to families in North and West Dallas including, food, clothing, medical and dental services, and housing assistance.
- Clothes Closet: Organize and distribute clothes
- Food Distribution: Pack grocery bags and distribute to clients
- ESL Teachers: Assist/tutor ESL adults
- Client Intake: Meet with prospective clients
- Client Interviews: Assemble information and assist with referrals to resources
- Meal Drop-off: Provide monthly meals to survivors at New Friends New Life
- Advocates: Human Trafficking Awareness Month projects and activities
- Education: Providing and hosting education and advocacy events
Saint Michael Positions
- Community Collaborator: Liaison between SMAA and a ministry partner
- Mission & Outreach Committee: Leadership Team to plan and coordinate SMAA M&O Ministry
- Collection Drive: Leader or team position
- Young Adult Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Young Adult projects
- Youth Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Youth projects
- Family and Children Planning Committee: Leadership team to plan and coordinate Children's projects
Stephen C. Foster Elementary
Foster Elementary serves children from 3k to 6th grade, almost all of whom live in homes where English is a second language, and most of whom are impacted by the effects of poverty.
- Tutors: help children (3k through 2nd grade) with reading and phonics
- Community Workdays: Paint and decorate the inside hallways and assist in landscaping the extensive grounds surrounding the school
- Afterschool programming: Plan and provide afterschool programming, including possible options for students to join our chorister program and/or a once-a-month soccer clinic
VNA Meals on Wheels
- Meal Delivery: Drivers deliver 10-15 meals to homebound seniors
- Special Treats: Assist with Christmas bags and other treats to distribute to seniors on the routes
- Tela Honduras Mission Trip: Mission Team Member for dental, vision, light construction, and children's education programming. 1 week in February.
- Amistad Bolivia Mission Trip: Mission Team Member for children's and family ministry at Amistad orphanage and family center. 1 week in August.